Wednesday, March 18, 2009

McCall's 5388 Top



Pattern Description:
Pullover tops in two lengths; tops A, B have front and back gathered to self-faced yoke; top A has self ruffle; tops C, D have front gathered to yoke; top C has purchased lace trim; top D has gathered sleeve with casing and elastic.

Pattern Sizing:
I'd read that this pattern ran particularly large, so I went down two sizes and made an 8 rather than my usual 12. For further versions I'd probably go to a 6 because the yoke is still pretty wide- it was also ridiculously long before I altered it, this thing was almost a dress without any modification- and I'm 5'7! Here's the length before without adjustment- it went down a good 3-4" past my shorts:



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Aside from my changes, yep!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very- this was a good learning piece- I hadn't done a yoke before, and the directions were a piece of cake to understand.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes: The overall shape and all the possibilities this simple pattern has, and it's so easy to make
Dislikes: This thing ran so ridiculously large! Seriously!

Fabric Used:
Some clearance rayon I grabbed at Hancock's about a year ago. It has a really tiny teal dot print on a cream background- here's a close-up (w/ scissors for scale):



It has a great, light weight to it and draped really well.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I did ties rather than single straps and then chopped off a good 7 inches and added the elastic waist. Here's a back view:



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Definitely- yes, and yes! I really want to try the other versions of the top, and it has great possibilities as a dress.

Conclusion:
Love this top and am really happy with how it turned out- definitely a keeper!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Found your blog while messing around on Pattern Review. Cute top! And cute blog... keep up the great work.

LH said...

Thanks Byrdie!