Thursday, March 26, 2009

Busy-ness & Fabric



Things have been somewhat busy lately, hence the lack of sewing (and posts). We bought a second car this week, which is amazing- I'd been trapped at home most days unless I pre-scheduled something (in which case I had to get up at 5 to take my husband to work so that I could have the car)...Anyways- major upgrade for us!

I've been needing (wanting) to check out the fabric stores here, there are no JoAnn's or Hancock's, but I've been researching it a bit and found a few: Fabric Mart and Kaimuki Dry Goods. I tried finding the Aiea Fabric Mart yesterday but ended up in some residential area- google maps is never quite right with exact addresses for some reason. In checking out their website again though I just found a detailed map, my next venture down there should be successful.

While there isn't a JoAnn's/Hancock's, I found that every Walmart here has maintained their fabric department when so many others have closed them. Their fabric selection is pretty bad*- but they do carry patterns and notions if I ever need something quickly in the middle of a project.

*I love Hawaii- however, I'm not crazy about loud Hawaiin prints in my everyday wardrobe. If that's what you're looking for though then Walmart's quantity & selection may be great. Quality? Probably another story :)

Time for errands & an afternoon at the beach with friends!

3 comments:

Val said...

I found your blog via Presser Foot and was pleansantly surprised to see a Hawai'i blogger and a sewist too! Fabric Mart in Aiea is a little hard to find if you aren't familiar with the area. Stay on Kamehameha Hwy. going Ewa until you pass Best Buy on your left. I think it will be the next intersection. Turn left. Cutter Ford will be on the right. Continue makai (towards the ocean) and you'll pass a guard shack. Keep going and you'll see Fabric Mart on the right. There are tons and tons of fabric. Good luck.

Val

LH said...

Thanks Val- I took a right when I should've taken a left- oops? Now I know exactly where it is...Might have to squeeze a trip in today! Very cool to meet another sewist in Hawaii :)

Anonymous said...

Commendable job with the post!! keep up the hard work!!
Beaded bra straps