Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Purple Wrap Dress



Pattern Description:
Wrap front dress has soft pleats, side tie, and sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing:
True to my normal pattern size- the 12 fits just right.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, very much so.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were! This is only my 3rd sewn pattern without my mom's guidance and I managed just fine *phew*

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This is a nice basic dress that would work for a lot of occasions. It went together very quickly, I needed it for a specific occasion and had no problem completing it.

Fabric Used:
The same fabric that was nearly the death of me on this other dress, but in a deep royal purple. Oddly enough- no issues this time! I also used some of the left over black from that other dress as the cuffs and ties...(don't love that decision- all purple would've been better in hindsight...the 2 tones bring leisure suits to mind...random- I know!)

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
None- other than I left off the collar like they did in the short sleeve version.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would make it again in a print- I think it's kind of bland as a solid color, and that would hide the pleating issue that bothered me a bit.

Conclusion:
While it's definitely not my favorite dress, it will forever hold a place in my heart as the first item I wore out in public and admitted to sewing myself!

I know it's silly, but I've never worn the other two pieces I've sewn out in public- nor have I really ever brought up the fact that I can and do sew.

Anyway, I had a military dinner to attend with my husband and no chance or place to shop (we were stuck in the middle-of-nowhere Missouri) so I pulled out my stash and matched the fabric to the pattern.

I cut it out one night, sewed it the next, and hemmed it the morning/afternoon before the dinner. I was mortified that my husband told his friends I was sewing a dress, but I got over it and even admitted to my other girl friends who were at the dinner that night. Of course they were impressed, how many other early-20-somethings know how to sew? Obviously a lot that visit this site, but out in everyday passing? Not too many!

So that is the (corny) story of my purple dress that I wore proudly in public (well...mostly proudly, maybe only 10% self-conscious) The end!

No comments: